Do you have Jersey Pride? If you love living, working, and playing in New Jersey, bring your passion to work and help us market the State of New Jersey as the best place to do business in the country. Choose New Jersey, Inc., a 501(c)(3) non-profit economic development organization, is looking for a qualified candidate to fill the role of Communications and Public Relations Manager to join our team in June 2022.
The Communications and Public Relations Manager will lead the organization’s public relations (PR) and content development strategy and execution, including New Jersey’s value proposition and key messaging for target growth sectors. The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment and take the lead in identifying content needs, creating, and curating content, and reviewing all external-facing communications for brand fidelity and effective messaging. This role will report to the Director of Marketing.
- Lead and implement multi-channel communications programs that inform and engage external stakeholders and provide visibility of New Jersey’s strengths and the services Choose New Jersey provides to companies looking to expand into the State.
- Develop and execute long-form content, including blogs, white papers, website copy, brochures, annual reports, PowerPoint decks, and custom pitchbooks. Manage relationships with third-party vendors when necessary.
- Support the business attraction advertising campaign with strategic content illustrating why New Jersey is the best state in the United States to do business. Advertisements include sponsored social media, email, and native.
- Coordinate all PR activities in partnership with an external PR agency, including communications strategy and tactics, managing media inquiries and interview requests, press release creation and distribution, producing executive remarks, editorial submissions, and media monitoring platform (Meltwater).
- Represent as official spokesperson of Choose New Jersey and liaise with the Office of the Governor and other State government entities as required.
- Provide strategic communications support to the CEO and leadership team, including media, speaking opportunities, and presentations.
- Support the development of the digital and social media strategy to ensure channels reflect a consistent voice and call to action.
- Lead email communication efforts for the organization, including monthly newsletters, news blasts, and automated content in partnership with the digital team to nurture companies considering relocation to the State.
- Work with internal and external teams to identify content needs and opportunities, including research, business development, events, and development.
- Serve as the gatekeeper for all content to ensure quality, clarity, creativity, authenticity, and consistency.
- Provide leadership and direct supervision of Communications team, including interns; lead hiring of a direct report to support and expand the communication strategy and its implementation.
- Stay updated on industry and economic development trends and adjust the content strategy as needed.
- Flexibility in schedule to work and travel to occasional events, trade shows, and international business attraction missions that could take place on evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Bachelor’s degree (marketing, communications, English, or a related field).
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience in marketing, PR, consulting, or related field (agency experience a plus).
- Exceptional writing, editing, and proofreading skills; technical writing experience a plus.
- Prior experience supporting a fast-paced, deadline-oriented organization in media relations.
- Prior experience as spokesperson or deputy spokesperson for an organization.
- Strong knowledge of Meltwater or other media monitoring tools.
- People and vendor management experience preferred.
- Demonstrated experience collaborating across functions to drive content creation.
- Experience working with senior leadership at the CXO level, as well as laterally across multiple offices, to assist in articulating the business attraction vision of the state.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook).
- Hybrid work schedule
- 4 weeks PTO + 5 sick days
- 11 holidays observed + your birthday
- 401(k) plan with company match
- Paid bridge/family leave
- Comprehensive health insurance plan
- Vision, dental & life insurance plans at no cost
About Choose New Jersey:
Choose New Jersey is a privately funded 501 (c)(3) economic development organization with a mission to stimulate job creation and attract capital investment to New Jersey. Choose New Jersey markets New Jersey both domestically and internationally as the best place to grow a business in the United States. Knowledgeable, experienced staff, supported by a network of State agencies and private partners, provide free, confidential assistance to guide companies in establishing operations in New Jersey. By harnessing the power of business, labor, academic and government leaders, Choose New Jersey enables growth across all sectors of the State’s economy, aspiring to build a stronger and more prosperous New Jersey for all.